If you maintain a good mattress, it lasts longer. Therefore, we give you a few precautions. We also tell you what you can do with your old mattress, for example, to add the best memory foam mattress topper.
1. Maintaining your mattress
A good mattress should last for at least 8 to 10 years. With proper maintenance can extend the life of your mattress. It is good to turn your mattress 1 or 2 times a month for a proper distribution of the load on the mattress. Both of foot to head end as from bottom to top. Please note that not all mattresses can be slept on both sides.
- Provide a well-ventilated bed base. The soil should release at least half of the mattress.
- Fold your mattress never quite duplicate. This damages the inside of the mattress.
- Choose a mattress with a mattress cover that you can wash in the washing machine. Or can you not want this?
- Remove stains with a stiff brush (check the product information or can) or a stain remover suitable for furniture and mattresses. Let wet spots first completely dry before you again oldest the mattress.
- The best way to remove dust mites is to wash the mattress cover at 60 ° C. Can you or can not wash the ticking? Vacuum the mattress at least one time per month thoroughly. Note: some manufacturers do not recommend vacuuming the mattress. Sale therefore with allergies never a mattress that can not be washed or cleaned.
2. You discard mattress
Every year some 1.5 million abandoned mattresses. By far burned most of them. That’s a loss of resources and waste of energy.
But there is an alternative. The company RetourMatras Lelystad recycles about 200,000 mattresses annually. Overall, it can be re-used 70 to 95% of the mattress. The only condition is that a mattress should be dry if you trade him.
RetourMatras has no mattresses on pensions. But at the church yard, shops and institutions that consume a lot of mattresses, such as health care and parks. On the RetourMatras website states that municipalities, stores and schools recycle mattresses at RetourMatras.
3. Tips to prevent mites and mold
Insects and fungi love an environment where it is moist, warm and dark. Keep things clean and fresh is essential. You can do this in the following ways:
- Air your room and bed every morning.
- Choose a mattress that is not too much to hold the heat. The mattress never even as these mattresses are shown as ‘cold’ or ‘neutral’ mattress.
- Choose a mattress that scores well in our comparison on ventilation.
- Choose a well-ventilated bed base. As a rule, you can say that the soil should keep at least 50% of the mattress.
- Choose bedding made of natural materials such as cotton.
- Wash all the bed materials at 60 ° C, including the ticking. Can the ticking not wax? Vacuum him at least one time per month thoroughly.
- Are you allergic? Then down not always the best choice. Better to choose a synthetic duvet. Today, these same cleaning properties as a comforter and are much easier.
- Avoid dust in the bedroom. Opt for hard floors and blinds, shades or Luxaflex the windows.
- Vacuum the room regularly – even under the bed – and keep pets outside. See the best vacuum cleaners from dust allergy.
- Put any extra pillows, stuffed animals or other dust collectors as decoration on the bed.
- In children choose toys that you can wash at 60 ° C, or place them once a month for 48 hours in the freezer.
5. Odors at a new mattress
A brand new mattress is often a scent. This can be caused by anything: the glue, the materials used, etc. In one mattress is the smell stronger or worse than the other. However, from our tests show that all odors over time disappear.
To counteract the smell can be the mattress is best a few days airing upright instead of him to be used right away.
Failing that, give the mattress as much as possible the opportunity to vent on the bed by the daytime to pick up the bedding, so including the fitted sheet and the flannel, and to leave open the window of the bedroom. Do this as long as you continue to smell the mattress.